Gastric Sleeve Surgery Benefits
A properly done gastric sleeve can provide the following benefits:
- A large decrease in appetite – this means that you will consume far fewer calories and you will feel more full despite eating less. Feeling more satiated with less food helps ensure that overconsumption, a large contributor to obesity, is not likely to happen.
- Enhanced quality of life – most of our patients have reported a holistic improvement to life. Shedding off weight has allowed our patients to live in such a way that brings happiness, fulfillment, and more.
- Improved health – bariatric surgery has had a proven track record of reducing conditions associated with obesity, such as diabetes.
Jeremy Wekell – 146 Lbs Lost – Read His Story – “This has been the best decision I have ever made.”
Gastric Sleeve Surgery Details
The sleeve itself is thin and approximately eight inches long. Sleeves can be used in bariatric revision surgery to rescue a sloppy sleeve or other failed procedure. As doctors make the sleeve, they staple the rest of the stomach off of the body. Food passes through your digestive system as it usually would and is fully absorbed into the body.
However, the capacity for food within the stomach is now smaller. Over time, this will lead to healthy and sustainable weight loss that will solve the host of metabolic disease problems.
IGS Improved Gastric Sleeve® vs. Regular Gastric Sleeve Surgery
We created the IGS Improved Gastric Sleeve® to correct known issues of the regular gastric sleeve, such as its 30% failure rate and its tendency to cause acid reflux. These improvements include:
- Higher safety standard: We developed the Double-Buttress Technique, a crucial step of over-sewing the long-staple line and creating a leak-proof seal.
- Fewer side effects: We perfected micro-calibration, a technique that creates a sleeve that is more uniform and less prone to undesirable symptoms while also enhancing weight loss.
- Fewer complications: We redesigned the technique based on anatomical and physiological studies and created the Fundic Anchoring Technique that has effectively reduced the risk of herniation and severe chronic acid reflux after surgery by 64%. (see study)
- Perfect for revision surgery: One of the greatest innovations of the IGS Improved Gastric Sleeve® is that it is perfect for those who need a revision or tightening surgery. It solves the problems of a “sloppy sleeve” and is a more permeant alternative to the Lap-Band procedure.
The IGS Improved Gastric Sleeve® procedure is the gold standard among other gastric sleeve surgery. It provides excellent results and metabolic disease improvements including remission of Type-2 diabetes in 84% of patients, all while decreasing the risks of stretching, leaks, and failures.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery vs. Gastric Bypass
Gastric sleeve surgery is also known as a vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG). A VSG dramatically differs from a gastric bypass procedure.
In a sleeve procedure, a surgeon permanently removes a large portion of the stomach, whereas, with the bypass technique, we “bypass” most of the stomach with the creation of a small stomach pouch. The entire stomach remains, but now the body only uses the pouch portion.
When we perform a sleeve surgery, removing part of the stomach is the only change. As we create the pouch during bypass surgery, the surgeon bypasses a portion of the small intestine by attaching the stomach pouch further down the small intestine.
This way, your body uses the small intestine’s acid and digestive enzymes but not the small intestine portion that absorbs calories, limiting the total number of calories your body can consume.
The OCC team has experts in both gastric sleeve surgery and gastric bypass procedures, so our surgeons can tailor your surgery to your precise needs to achieve your weight loss goals.
What Your Improved Gastric Sleeve Surgery Journey Will Look Like
We know any medical procedure can be a stressful one. Therefore, it is our priority to treat you with care at every turn, making sure you return home relaxed, restored, and ready to face the new, happier, and healthier life that’s waiting for you.
The Obesity Control Center, located just minutes across the border from San Diego in Tijuana, Mexico, has thoughtfully designed an experience that ensures both comfort and success.
Here’s how your journey with us will unfold:
- Reaching Out – It all begins with a text message, email, phone call, or video call with one of our on-staff US-based Patient Coordinators. Our Patient Coordinators will connect you to our global community support group and address all your questions and concerns.
- Prepping for Surgery/Booking – Our nutritionists and Patient Coordinators will work with you to prepare you for your surgery. Depending on your unique criteria, you may be fast-tracked for surgery in as little as 4-6 weeks.
- Travel – Upon arrival at the San Diego airport or the border crossing, you will be met by our private driver. You will be driven to either of the five-star accommodations we recommend, the Marriott or Real Inn, to prepare for your weight loss surgery. We will provide a suggested packing list before your arrival date.
- Surgery – Our surgeons perform bariatric and metabolic surgeries using the most state-of-the-art and minimally invasive approach. Most patients are up and walking within a few hours of the surgery. Learn more about bariatric metabolic surgery by visiting pubmed.gov.
- Follow-Up – You will join one of the most extensive and comprehensive Follow-Up programs in the world. With our US-based Patient Coordinators, our education program, and a support network of thousands of patients, you’ll become a member of the #OCCFamily for life.
Additional details about the procedure itself can be found here.
Start Your Weight Loss Journey Today
Call 1 866-893-8005 or email us HERE. One of our US-based coordinators will answer all of your questions and guide you in making the best and healthiest decision so that you can live a happy and fulfilled life.